Today’s post is a two for one: A crisp white blouse and a wild leopard skirt!
The blouse, Butterick 5562, is one of the first patterns I ever purchased. The first time I made it (in view D, not blogged about), I was still figuring out how to follow the instructions on a pattern. Last August, I made this pattern in view C, but didn’t make any changes to the pattern. This is view D, with many tweaks. 1) I removed the poof in the gathered sleeve by folding out 1/2″ from the sleeve cap, all the way down to the wrist.
2) I brought the shoulder seam line up by 1″. I found that my gingham collar shirt kept riding back on my shoulders every time I wore it. 3) I shortened the waistline by 2″, since this is my typical commercial pattern adjustment. 4) And added 2″ to the bottom to accommodate for the shortening at the waistline.
5) I drafted the collar pattern, since I lost it, and attached it to the blouse without a collar stand, for a flatter look. 6) I also combined the button placket with the front part of the blouse, to eliminate a seam line.
The skirt is the bottom half of New Look 6213, that I used for the black & blue dress, with a few tweaks.
I cut out a size 8 and used a 1/4″ seam allowance. Instead of following the patterns dart placement, I just did the good ol’ pinch and pin method in the mirror until I got the right fit. And by the look and feel of it, I got the perfect fit! I omitted a waistband, as adding the lining finished the top of the skirt. The lining is my favorite part!
The vent didn’t come out quite as vent-ish as intended because I used a 17″ long regular zipper, but I like the look of the unintentional slit.
The blouse is a cotton and the skirt is a very soft suede from Joann’s.
Thanks for reading!