This dress started as a muslin (a first fitting) for my black everyday tank dress. I used the same staple knit dress as a base pattern, changing just about everything but the body shape. The jersey that I used didn’t have as much stretch as the original dress, so my version came out slightly tighter and shorter than what I’m accustomed to.
Since the jersey was so thin and see through (I think it’s a polyester/ cotton blend), I layered the body THREE times!! This fixed the opaqueness of the fabric and gave it a nice heavy weight. Next problem to solve was the length. I left this hanging in my room for weeks before I decided what my next move was going to be – add a flounce at the bottom hem to match the top of the dress!
The top flounce works as a facing and cleanly finished the neck and armhole edges. I made it by tracing the top part of the dress (no longer than the waist), onto paper, marked a couple inch notches at the bottom of the paper, and slashed/ spread, just like I would when adding volume to a circle skirt. The hem of the top & bottom flounce are rolled on the serger.
On a side note, for those of you who may have ready my ABOUT… ME! section, you know that I LOVE hip-hop. I absorb my musical intake from SoundCloud, and recently, I discovered this AMAZING station – Soulection Radio. They mix old sounds with the sounds of tomorrow. It’s all about the good vibes and that’s what I’m all about. I highly recommend checking it out!
Till next time… PEACE!!